Thursday, October 18, 2007

Blast from the Past: Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

I've been in a rut this week and therefore have not posted much. My apologies. I decided to do a Blast from the Past and repost one of my old posts for a memory refresher or for someone who has not ventured far into my blog.

In the original post, I stated that I had hung the mirror in our computer area. It is now hanging in the living room above our couch. People are always amazed to find out it was a chevel mirror and comment that they thought we had purchased it from a store.


This is my first project to share with you all. As I said in my "Coming Soon" section, I had one of those cheval mirrors like the one pictured on the left, that I was going to put in our yard sale. It hadn't been doing good for a while now. It wanted to stay permanantly tilted upwards so if I wanted to use it, I would have to push it down straight, quickly take a few steps back, and try to admire my outfit in a span of 2 seconds. Not very easy for someone who is detail oriented!

Our dining room is where we have had the computer since we moved into this house. I had planned for it to be the computer slash playroom. However, it seemed the kids' toys never stayed in this area so I said "Forget it!". I made the decision to make it my computer and sitting room for reading and such. At my direction, my loving and patient husband moved a small couch in there that we had stored in our bedroom. I liked the way it fit and looked, but I wanted something nice to hang above it.

The "dining room" is small and they say that mirrors can give the illusion of more space. Instead of placing this aggravating cheval mirror in our upcoming garage sale, I decided to see how it would work as a wall mirror. If I did pull it off, I would save at least $30 going out and buying one from the store. Jon, my patient love, removed it from it's hinged prison, and he was also nice enough to paint it for me. I was going to paint it myself, but he does renovations and remodeling for a living, so he's better at it and more importantly, FASTER!

Here are the results:

Before:



















After:








2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea using your noodle there sisterfriend!!

Kacie said...

I love repurposing things! You did a great job with this one--keeping it simple but giving an old object new life. Woo hoo!